The Most Important Question
It’s no secret that life has been pretty hectic for us over the past few months. Our travel schedule has been full, our kids’ sports season is in full swing, life has been busy.
In a moment of quiet a few days ago, I felt God prompt me with this question: “Am I enough for you?”
It’s easy for me value God’s “presents” more than I value his “presence.” I can easily be more concerned with what God can give me than I am with simply who he is. I place expectations on him. I give ultimatums. I hold him hostage to my plans and dreams.
I say that Jesus is enough. But is he truly enough or do I desire the things he gives me more than I desire him?
If everything else goes away…is Jesus enough?
- If your marriage never gets any better…is Jesus enough?
- If you don’t get that promotion…is Jesus enough?
- If you lose your house…is Jesus enough?
- If that friendship is never reconciled…is Jesus enough?
- If you lose your job…is Jesus enough?
- If you never get remarried…is Jesus enough?
- If that dream you’ve been dreaming for years doesn’t come true…is Jesus enough?
- If he never says he’s sorry…is Jesus enough?
- If she doesn’t choose you…is Jesus enough?
- If the person that means the most to you causes you the most pain…is Jesus enough?
- If everything and everyone goes away…is Jesus enough?
Is Jesus enough? I want the answer to be yes and maybe that is the place to start.
The truth about me, and probably the truth about you is that most of the time, Jesus isn’t enough…until He’s all you have.
Then, He is more than you could ever imagine.